Mission & Philosophy
Mt. Lebanon Montessori School Mission Statement
“Freedom with responsibility . . .”
Mt. Lebanon Montessori School is dedicated to the development of the whole child as a unique individual. Through the prepared environment of Montessori teachers and learning materials, the child develops self-discipline, concentration, independence, a thirst for lifetime learning, and respect for self, others, and all of creation.
Revised May 5, 2008 at a workshop with Parents, Staff and Board Members.
Wording finalized on May 12, 2008 by committee members Maureen Helinski, Susan Kohler, Barb Moore and Cathy Rohrer.
Quote from Montessori Today, Paula Polk Lillard
Mt. Lebanon Montessori School & Academy Beliefs (Adopted May 2008)
- We respect each other, our materials, our environment, our school.
- The staff is dedicated and committed to the Montessori philosophy.
- Each child is nurtured as an individual to reach his/her highest potential.
- Children at Mt. Lebanon Montessori School are motivated and enjoy learning.
- Children learn to be independent and to learn how to work in a cooperative atmosphere.
- Children are encouraged to be independent thinkers.
- Each child works at his/her own pace.
- The prepared environment allows children the opportunity to choose their own works.
- Children learn respect for their environment and respect for others.
- Discipline is a prerequisite for learning.
- A sensitive period is a period in which the child is psychologically attuned to learn or acquire skills more easily than at any other period.
The beliefs were adopted by school community participation, May 2008. The beliefs were submitted by staff, parents and students and voted on by same.
“The most important period of life is not the age of university studies but the period from birth to the age of six… For that is the time when intelligence itself, his greatest implement, is being formed” – Maria Montessori